Tuesday, December 6, 2011

To shop or not to shop

The Desire is supposed to fulfil all the functions of a computer. Admittedly my main non-work use for computers is to surf the net, so a smartphone was inevitably going to be a good fit. But there's one thing I often do on a computer that I haven't yet made work on the Desire, and that is shopping.

This lack of phone-powered shopping [1] is, admittedly, more Visa's fault than that of my phone. Visa's, and the merchants'. Using a Loaded for Travel card to shop online isn't the walk in the park that Visa make out (it's all very well telling us that the cardholder name should be "Loaded for", space, "Travel", but pray what billing address would be appropriate for that cardholder?). And a poorly designed merchant website is hardly my phone's doing. All the same, a poorly designed website will inevitably be easier to use on a computer, and then it wouldn't be such a chore having to go back and re-enter the cardholder name after capitalising it wrongly.

Instead of doing any of that, I've now turned up in person on the spot for three different events that could have been ticketed online. On net, it's saved me money. But it wouldn't have worked in the busy tourist season.

[1] I did buy something online from my phone before leaving New Zealand, but that was with a regular credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment