Monday, December 19, 2011

Photography in a cold climate

While touring England and Scotland, I got rather good at using my touchscreen *through* my gloves. Even took a few photos that way. Though it's difficult to hold the phone still enough for a photo at the same time as applying thrice the normal pressure to the shutter softkey.

It became obvious very quickly that my phone camera isn't up to it. Its lack of light sensitivity means a high ISO must be used, destroying the image quality. It often struggles to expose appropriately, too, choosing a fast shutter (or low ISO, I don't know which) if even the tiniest bit of bright sky appears in frame.

The phone's limitations have rather set me free than the reverse. Instead of spending ages trying to create an impossible shot, I give in early and slope off to look at something else. Which is what it's all about, really.

And right now? I'm at Brussels Midi railway station. Roaming. For £2 a day. Received "welcome to France" and "welcome to Belgium" texts from Vodafone while on the train; that never gets old. These ones even included the local emergency number. How nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment