Saturday, December 24, 2011

Changi again

My earlier-than-expected departure from Belgium meant longer than expected in London just before flying out, which ment more walking around chilling (lovely), which meant more use of the GPS, which meant less battery. By the time I'd navigated through Hyde Park and written a few last emails, the battery was pretty wasted, and I still had at least 33 hours before returning to my own power supply.

Imagine my delight, then, at discovering that Changi airport offers not only free WiFi but free power as well! And the sockets take a European plug with no adaptor. Just as well, because like an idiot I packed all my adaptors in my suitcase.

So I'll make it to New Zealand with battery to spare for the frantic phone calls that will have to occur if another earthquake affects Christchurch airport while I'm in transit there. (I basically haven't used my phone for games or books while travelling, cos I've been so concerned with saving the battery for emergencies. And I never did load any music on it.)

Before switching on at Changi, I put my New Zealand SIM back in. This had the result that I received 66 Wellington train service updates by SMS as soon as I switched on. Hate to think what that cost me.

No comments:

Post a Comment